July 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm #414
Thoughts on Colors
The player colors are:
Black- amazon slaver (Polyergus breviceps) weakness- evolved dependence on the slaves they capture.
Red- pharaoh ant (Monomorium pharaonis) w- so many mouths to feed.
white- trap jaw (Odontomachus bauri) w-arrogance.
yellow – weaver ants (Oecophylla smaragdina)) w-lack of imagination and frequent slaves of the Polyergus
Notes: So Gigantiops Destructor isn’t’ really a slaving ant so much. Its a huge-eyed solitary, jumping hunter. More akin to Odontomachus. I replaced Gigantiops with Polyergus.
Card Colors are:
Green/camo/wildcat patterns- WorkerJuly 31, 2013 at 12:40 am #426
Here you go sorted by prevalence of sub-family. I tried to pick ants that had all the right behavioral traits AND there were good photos of on the internet. -rs
Red Player– Myrmicinae Myrmicini, Pogonomyrmex barbatus, Red’s harvester ant
25. Ambushing (Thorax)- Myrmicinae ___ini, Temnothorax albipennis, ___’s tandem running ant
30. Aggressive (head)– Myrmicinae ___ini, Myrmecia pilosula, Jack’s Ant
32. Mercenary Ant (abdomen)- Myrmicinae Myrmicini, Myrmica puceron
34. Enslaving (Thorax)– Myrmicinae Dacetini, Strumigenys xenos, ___’s Ant
38. Brood Ant (Abdomen)– Myrmicinae _____ini, Leptothorax acervorum, _____’s Brood Ant
41. Pharaoh Ant (Abdomen)- Myrmicinae Solenopsidini, Monomorium pharaonis, ____’s Pharaoh Ant
43. Marching (Thorax)– Myrmicinae ___ini, Tetramorium caespitum, ___’s pavement ant
44. Stone Ant (Abdomen)– Myrmicinae ___ini, Cephalotes grandinosus, Latreille’s Ant (1802).
Black Player– Formicinae ___ini, Polyergus breviceps, Black’s Amazon Ant
Yellow Player- Formicinae Oecophyllini, Oecophylla smaragdina, Col. Mustard’s Weaver Ant
22. Pollinating (Thorax)– Formicinae ___ini, Formica rufa, ___’s thatching Ant
27. Suicidally Altruistic (Head)– Formicinae Camponotini, Camponotus saundersi, ____’s Carpenter Ant
29. Honeypot Ant (Abdomen)– Formicinae ___ini, Myrmecocystus ____, ___’shoneypot ant
35. Gigantiops Ant (Abdomen)-Formicinae Plagiolepidini, Nylanderia fulva, ____’s Raspberry Crazy Ant
40. Fungus Cultivating (Thorax): Formicidae ___ini, Atta cephalotes, Leaf Cutter Ants
21. Mercantile (head)– Dolichoderinae ______ini, Dolichoderus mariae, ____’s Ant
42. Symbiotic (Head)– Dolichoderinae Dolichoderini, Linepithema humile, Argentine ant
24. Industrious (head)– Dolichoderinae Tapinomini, Iridomyrmex purpureus, Meat Ant
White Player- Ponerinae ___ini, Odontomachus bauri, Whit’s Trap Jaw Ant
26. Grasshopper Ant (Abdomen)– Ponerinae ___ini, Harpegnathos saltator, Jerdon’s jumping ant
31. Tunneling (Thorax)– [order sub-order, genus species, common name] Blattodea Isoptera, Termitidae ___, da termite!
37. Flying (Thorax)– [order sub-order, genus species, common name] Hymenoptera Apocrita, Vespidae ____, da wasp!
23. Death Ant (Abdomen)– Paraponerinae ___ini, Paraponera clavata, _____’s Bullet Ant
28. Vanishing (Thorax)- Ectatomminae Ectatommini, Ectatomma ruidum, ____’s Ant
33. Territorial (head)– Ecitoninae Ecitonini, Eciton burchellii, Burchell’s army ant
36. Cannibalistic (head)-Amblyoponinae Amblyoponini, Adetomyrma veatrix, ___’s Ant
39. Trophic (Head)– Leptanillinae Leptanillini, Leptanilla swani, ____’s Ant
July 31, 2013 at 8:14 pm #436
- This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Ryan Swisher. Reason: I jammed it!
Ryan – awesome this looks great and I think people will be stoked to get there name on these cards. Yap Yap. And I don’t think it will distract from the card at all!August 11, 2013 at 6:59 am #481August 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm #484
Looking forward to seeing these on cards. your ant looks good, but i think we need more contrast against the background. You could make a selection by reversing the transparency of AntFat, and then use that as a mask for a lighter screened texture against the background, then maybe apply a second gradient mask so its heavy on top and fades towards the bottom…August 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm #488
Yeah I here ya about the background and contrast. I like the darker ants so just need a lighter background. Oh boy oh boy oh boy!August 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm #490
Don’t be discouraged by bill’s feedback. Polinating Ant is my least favorite art so far. Once we are closer to done i think it will look cohesive and as good as the stolen macro photographs looked. Viva la ANT.August 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm #491
Don’t be discouraged by bill’s feedback. Polinating Ant is my least favorite art so far. Once we are closer to done i think it will look cohesive and as good as the stolen macro photographs looked. Viva la ANT.August 14, 2013 at 4:27 am #492
Oh yeah I aint worried. I am sure it gonna look great and be a really cohesive game art. Might work to give them a little more realistic flavor but I am just starting to draw ants and aint gonna stop for nothing.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.