Okay it has been a little while but I would like to report back on a fantastic trip to Kublacon that I took over Memorial Day weekend. All in all it was a great weekend full of fun games and gamers, meeting other designers and lots of playtesting of Little Pig and March of the Ants.
Here is a list of the highlights:
1. I flew into SF at 7:30 Am and rather than take the bart all the way to the city to my hostel and then all the way back I decided I would just head to the hotel and find somewhere nice to rest up for a few hours until the Con opened. Well I found myself lounging next to the pool for 3 hours and feeling totally refreshed for the day!
2. Playtested March of the Ants at the same table that Matt Leacock was playtesting a new Pandemic Dice game. I had tested the dice game the day before and it was great to be right next to a published game designer doing the same thing as me. I got to chat with him a bit and turns out he has been working on an ant game off and on for 10 years. Before leaving I offered to do some blind playtesting for him and we exchanged emails.
3. I was a little nervous about testing out my games but finally got up the gumption and set March of the Ants up. Four guys joined in and they all enjoyed it immensely. They had a great time interacting with the different evolutions and Ant cards and all enthusiastically told me they would buy the game if it were available.
4. Met Hillary a cute gaming girl who happened to be wearing striped socks that matched mine but off color.
5. Little Pig got honorable mention in the Game Design Contest coming in 3rd place and got recommended to a publisher.
All in all a fantastic and super positive experience that made me feel that Weird City Games is on the right track.